Top Rated Santa Monica Employment Lawyer
If you feel as though your termination violated the law, then it is your right to speak to an attorney regarding your rights. Miracle Mile Law Group works to ensure that you have the effective representation in order to get the maximum compensation allowed. Our Santa Monica Employment Lawyer is ready, willing, and able to fight your employer for illegal behavior.
California is an at-will state, meaning you can be terminated for almost any reason or no reason at all. However, there are exceptions to the rule.
When is a Termination Illegal in California?
When an employee is terminated for reasons unrelated to work performance or for an illegitimate reason, the employee may be able to sue for wrongful termination. Employers can be held liable for their termination if their motive violated a public policy. Common reasons for a termination that may be illegal under the eyes of the law include:
- The worker refused to break a code or law and reported the unlawful behavior
- The employee is treated less favorably because of his or her age, race, national origin, gender, disability, religion, pregnancy
- The employee is fired because of his or sexual orientation, for example, such as being a part of the LGTBQ community.
- Retaliation for reporting or complaining about illegal employment practices, including sexual harassment
- Retaliation for complaining about or “whistle-blowing” on violations of the law, including violations of workplace safety regulations or wage-and-hour violations
- The employee took FMLA and is fired while on leave or shortly after returning
If you have been illegal fired by your employer, you have the right to recover damages for lost wages and pain and suffering. In some cases, you may be able to punish your employer through punitive damages.
Miracle Mile Law Group, LLP is proud to protect the the rights of ordinary employees against large companies. Our Santa Monica Employment Lawyer is standing by to hear your story and fight on your behalf.
How Do I Prove Wrongful Termination?
An employer who illegal fired you is probably not going to tell you point blank that they are discriminating against you. In order to sue for wrongful termination (and win), the employee must be able to produce evidence showing that the employer’s purpose for the termination was both illegal and a “motivating factor” for the termination. Evidence can come in the form of comments by your boss that suggest illegal motivations. Our Santa Monica employment lawyer provides the following tips if you would like to protect yourself:
- Keeping written evidence, including emails, text messages, or skype messages by downloading them before you are fired.
- Requesting relevant records such as pay stubs, performance review, or evaluation notes
- Finding out the information of potential witnesses who may saw how you were mistreated
Consult with an experienced Santa Monica employment lawyer who can help terminated employees determine if they can win their case. At Miracle Mile Law Group, we do not charge a dime. Our lawyers do not receive a penny unless we win your case.
CONTACT MIRACLE MILE LAW GROUP FOR A FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
Every person deserves to work in a safe environment without the fear of retaliation or discrimination. Having a career destroyed is the worst thing next to losing a loved one. You should not live in fear at work. Our Santa Monica employment lawyer understands the obstacles and challenges facing victims of wrongful termination in Los Angeles and Santa Monica. We are committed to protect your rights as a worker and to help collect the lost wages and compensation you deserve. To learn more, contact our Los Angeles law office today and schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case.