Top-Rated San Bernardino Race Discrimination Attorney
Even though California is known as a progressive and employee-centric state, racism still runs rampant in many workplaces, especially within San Bernardino. In response, the San Bernardino race discrimination attorney at Miracle Mile Law Group is ready to defend those who have been subject to race discrimination.
What Is Workplace Race Discrimination?
Race discrimination occurs when your employer treats you differently because of your race or features associated with your race.
Your employer cannot treat you less favorably due to your race in the following ways:
- Failing to hire you because of your race, or because of features associated with your race. For example,
- You cannot be terminated because of your race (see wrongful termination)
- Your pay cannot be decreased
- Your supervisor is prohibited from giving you less desirable job duties due to your race
- You cannot be denied a promotion because of your race
- Your employer is prohibited from denying you a promotion due to your race
- Your employer is prohibited from denying you fringe benefits due to your race
What Are the Race Discrimination Laws Under Federal & California Law?
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provides the federal basis for race discrimination prohibition. Under federal law, your employer cannot discriminate you based on your race or color for any of the reasons listed above. California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) also prohibits discrimination on the basis of race. However, under California law, the laws are more employee friendly. Our San Bernardino race discrimination attorney is trained under both federal and state law.
Is Racial Harassment and Race Discrimination the Same Thing?
Discrimination based on racial or ethnic ties can come in the form of unwelcome harassment, such as stray remarks. Harassment can be interpreted as race discrimination. In fact, one of the elements of race discrimination is that you were subject to an adverse employment action—harassment is a form of adverse employment action under the eyes of the law.
What Are Some Examples of Racial or Ethnic Harassment?
- RACIAL SLURS: stray remarks may be classified as racial discrimination or harassment, even if it is made by someone of the same race.
- ISOLATED BEHAVIOR: even one instance of racial harassment may constitute discrimination
- CONDUCT TO OTHER EMPLOYEES: even if the harassment is not directed towards you, you may have a claim for race discrimination.
- RACIALLY MOTIVATED POLICIES: policies that on their face seem neutral may have the impact of race discrimination.
Hire a San Bernardino Race Discrimination Attorney That Will Fight For Workplace Rights
You should immediately contact a lawyer in the event you have been a victim of race discrimination. The sooner you speak to San Bernardino race discrimination attorney the better your case will fare. On the other hand, the longer you wait, the more you limit your damages. That is why it is best to contact a lawyer as soon as you notice conduct that may give rise to a Race Discrimination case. Contact the lawyers at Miracle Mile Law Group at (888) 244-0706 or fill out the form to get more information about your rights. There are absolutely no fees unless we win.